Top Ten Most Memorable Secondary Characters


This week's Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is all about secondary characters so I've scoured my goodreads lists and come up with a few notable characters.

Daniel from Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi
He's the perfect big brother and I admire his political conviction, not to mention his Tory friend.

Mikey from Laurie Halse Anderson's Catalyst
He's such a cute kid and I love how he really draws attention to Terri and allows for some great character development.

The Rooster in Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier)
Yes, I'm counting the rooster as a character.  He's part of one of my favorite scenes in the book, terrifying Ida to the point where she hides in a bush.  He's also the reason I loved Ruby when she was first introduced.

George from the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
George is the kind of love interest I like to see in YA books.  He's steadfast and patient and he's supportive of Alanna living her life the way she wants to, regardless of what that means for the two of them.  He's a great contrast for Jonathan as well.

Mary in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series
In a lot of the books, Mary comes across as being perfect, or at least as a person whom Laura respects and I loved that about her as a kid.  I loved that Mary was unassumingly awesome, but still got into trouble with Laura on occasion.

Ophelia in Hamlet
I love the use of flower symbolism in her dialogue.  I love how tragically beautiful she is, and how strongly she feels both her love and despair.  I also love watching quiet obedient characters come undone, and Ophelia definitely delivers in that department.

Mae Mobley from The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Cutest child possibly ever.

Ruth in Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones
I've always loved Ruth and her connection to Susie.  I can't put my finger on why exactly but I love her nonetheless.

Geilie Duncan from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Flawed characters are my favorite, particularly if you're not quite sure what they're up to.  I would get into specifics but I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't read the book or continued on with the series.

Miriam in A Discovery of Witches (Deborah Harkness)
I love her snark.  I love how loyal she is to Mathew even when she has her own interests to contend with.


2 comments:

  1. There certainly was more than met the eye in regards to Geilie Duncan, wasn't there? Darn it - I didn't even think about Outlander when I made my list (I know - blasphemy, right?!). If I had, I definitely would've included Murtoch. He was such a good friend to Jamie.
    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outlander has great secondary characters doesn't it? I had a hard time picking one.

    ReplyDelete