Top 10 Contemporary Books That Would Be Great Paired With A Required Reading Book


This week's Top Ten Tuesday (run by The Broke and the Bookish) is all about books in school and required reading.  A lot of these are going to be historical fiction.  I can tell you that right now before I even start my list because history is where my book!nerd and academic love collide.  I am stretching the idea of "contemporary"a bit on a few of these, but I have tried to stick with pairs of books where the books themselves are separated quite distinctly in time.


The Heretic's Daughter by Katheleen Kent and The Crucible by Arthur Miller
I love both of these to pieces, plus I like that they present the same series of events from two distinct points of view, the former focusing on a POV we don't often see, while the latter focuses on the more typical story line, but in a lesser used format (i.e. a stage play).

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
Both of these novels present a wealth of discussion opportunities on their own, but paired together there's an opportunity to introduce students to comparative criticism.   Literary tradition can also be discussed as well as some of the flaws and pitfalls of Jane Eyre and other classics, which I think is something that's missing in a lot of English classes.

The Boy and the Stripped Pajamas by John Boyne and The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank
I think these two books balance each other out quite well.  Once again, they present similar stories from differing points of view.  They also have varying degrees of emotional impact and different narrative style and come from two separate genres, the latter being nonfiction and a firsthand account.  Another option would be to include The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Both of these books address the prevalence of science in society, particularly cloning and its implications, as well as ideas of love and remorse.  Their writing styles as well as the narratives vary greatly, however, which I think adds to the enjoyment of reading these two together.

O Pioneers! by Willa Cather and Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm by Jon Katz
I think a lot of schools do a good job of introducing students to the Classics, at least to some extent, but I think more could be done to introduce students to other forms and genres of literature.  Teaching students to think critically and exposing them to good literature is important, but I also think exposing them to new genres and formats is also important as is trying to foster a love of reading.  This pair, covers all of those things for me: it opens up a discussion about humanity's relationship to the land (cue discussion about environmental issues if so desired) as well as introduces students to nonfiction and autobiographical text.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
Both of these books cover the same period in history, both feature children stumbling into new worlds through doorways, but the worlds they enter and the things they learn are vastly different.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells and the Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Neffenegger
Because time travel.  In all seriousness though I love Neffenegger's writing and narrative style and it never hurts to introduce students to good contemporary writing.  Also, I think I would have enjoyed The Time Machine more if I had had something a bit more accessible with which to break it up.  The mode and scope of travel varies vastly between the two books, opening up discussions about both science and history.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling
There's something that's always interested me about people in survival situations and both these books have that in spades.  There's chaos, order, and some hard earned truths all of which can be compared and contrasted to your heart's content.

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
These two are clear opposites or companions, but the things the latter has in common with the former opens up a discussion of Romeo and Juliet to a wider range of students.  I know the first time I read Romeo and Juliet I had a hard time relating to it despite having seen the play a couple of times.  Discussing the two texts brings up conversations about loyalty, fate and destiny, and feuds or long standing ideological disagreements as well as love and sacrifice.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Montana 1948 by Larry Watson
Both books raise questions about some serious social issues and address ideas such as justice, loyalty and the meaning of family.  Plus these are potentially my two favorite books from school which means I couldn't resist recommending them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment